Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Dominican Fundraiser

Johana and Alberto, teachers at our preschool in Mata Gorda, are needing a double concrete sink for the school's little kitchen. To raise the funds for the purchase of the sink, they decided to do a "kermes", a type of fundraiser. They organized the parents of the school and had each of them bring rice, chicken, potatoes, and other supplies needed to put together a large meal that could be then sold to the community by the plate. On the day of the "kermes", we arrived, bought our little pink tickets, and stood in line to be served. The menu included, several different types of rice, meat, and salads. They also had "pastelón de platano", a dish prepared with ground beef, cheese, and mashed plantains.

Many people from the community showed up to purchase a meal and show their support for the school. I'm so proud of the teachers for taking initiative and finding a creative way to meet a need that the school has.

5 comments:

Cammy said...

Oh Slabach's- I am very excited to see that you now have a blog to keep me updated about your ministry to the DR. I will continue to pray for Maria, her new business, her children and her walk with the Lord. Nate- what a great idea the Holy Spirit gave you, praise God. Keep smilin' for Jesus!

Love,
Cammy

Mandy said...

I love your blog! It really helps me keep up on what you all are up to. I'm praying for you and your family and the work that you are doing. I miss you all so much!

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is a great way to keep us updated, Nate and Maggie. Thanks for doing this. I love getting to see the pictures and hear about what is happening in the D.R.

Kenny & Karen Miller said...

Hello to the Slabach's!
What a great idea this blog is. We are looking forward to seeing you in July. How things have changed since we've last been there. Your pictures are wonderful.

Yours in Christ,
Kenny and Karen