Monday, June 30, 2008

Community Vision Clinics

During one of our recent outreaches, Steve, an optometrist from Ohio, was part of our team. He brought with him a $15,000.0o state of the art portable eye exam unit. He also brought 2000 pairs of used eye glasses. He did literally hundreds of eye exams for the people in the communities in which we are working. I spent one forenoon translating for Steve and his two assistants. Among the many eye glasses, I found a pair that was particularly large and had thick lenses. When children came to be examined, I would tell them that I have the perfect pair of glasses for them. Then I would pull out my special glasses. At first they would look concerned and shake there finger back and forth Dominican style meaning "no". Then of course they had to laugh when they figured out I was kidding. That morning Steve did an eye exam for a young boy and discovered that he had very poor eyesight. We asked him if he had ever had glasses, and he said, "No". We found a pair with the perscription he needed and had him put them on. He looked around with wonder as for the first time he saw his surroundings clearly.

We continue to pray for revival in Jarabacoa and the Dominican Republic. We pray that God will remove spiritual blindness so that the people may see the truth and be transformed by the power of Jesus.

1 comment:

Ethan Slabach said...

Hey, guys, great post. Dad, the big glasses are just you. How in the world did you ever get along without them? Love you guys,
Ethan